I spent my last two years of college living in the most adorable, shabby-chic apartment with 3 of the most delightful girls I know. One summer, one of my roommates and I decided that we had eaten a bit too much ice cream that spring. So we started a no-carb diet. This recipe was one of our favorites.
While I definitely don’t recommend the diet, I can recommend this recipe! Gluten free, but it will hit the spot of the pizza-shaped hole in your stomach.
Chicken Breast Pizza
Servings: 2 per chicken breast
- One chicken breast
- Pizza sauce
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/4 bell pepper, diced
- 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
- Mozzarella cheese
- Oregano, pepper, other spices as desired
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the chicken breast between two sheets of wax paper. Pound with the flat side of a meat tenderizer or a mallet hammer until it’s about 1/2 an inch thick.
3. Sprinkle cornmeal on each side of the chicken.
4. Spread pizza sauce. Add toppings and spices as desired.
5. Bake, covered with tinfoil, for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more.
I’m never buying pizza sauce again. This recipe cost me a grand total of 59 cents, as I had almost everything in my fridge and spice cabinet.
Homemade pizza is the most wonderful thing, and a good homemade sauce will take your pie to the next level. This sauce is simultaneously sweet and thick and tangy and perfect.
Recipe for your Friday night: Whip up some pizza dough. Let it rise. Toss it in the air if you’re fancy and good at things like that. Spread your sauce. Layer up the toppings. Indulge.
Based on allrecipes.com
Yield: approx. 1 cup of pizza sauce
- 1- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 3 Tbs. Parmesan cheese
- Dash each of oregano, basil, pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup warm water
Mix the tomato paste, honey, cheese, and spices. Once mixed, add water a bit at a time until your desired consistency is reached.
Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before you spread it on the pizza dough.
January just flew by while I was holed up in Hawaii. Oh so good.
As such, it seems like February has arrived in the blink of an eye. Wasn’t it just Christmas?
Oh. Well then. On to more up to date things. It’s February! Here’s what will be up in my world:
- I’m using a new budget form (I’m such a dork. This thrills me), so we’ll see how that goes down! I’ll keep you posted. If I end up loving it, I’ll share my source.
- My dear friend Molly brought me some gluten free goodies last week. So, I want to try to recreate the dessert that she brought as well as make a chocolate cake out of black beans. Stay tuned!
- Taxes. Yup.
- I want to try my hand at homemade pasta sauce and maybe even homemade pizza sauce. Now that I have an immersion blender, it’ll be so easy!
- Darcy and I are going to whittle our middles. Fun times. It begins on February 1. You in? Leave a comment to let me know!
- Also, winter is perfect for staying indoors and cooking. I’m going to cross 4 things off my 101 in 1001.
- Run. Swim. Yoga. Tone. Get myself on track for a triathlon this summer!
February can be a dark and dreary month, and I’m determined to not let it drag me down. So, this will be a month of happy feasting and friends and contentment.
I wanna know: What are you up to this month?