One of the reasons I appreciate seasons is for the change in food. What we eat in the winter looks so dramatically different from what we eat in the summer. Winter is all about the comfort food, and currently, I’m on a soup kick. It’s frigid outside, and I want warm, delicious, creamy soup for dinner every night. Overkill? Maybe. Nonetheless, there’s something to be said for warming yourself from the inside out.
This soup is anything but low-calorie, but it’s worth it! Broccoli, mushrooms, cream, and chicken–need I say more?
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Soup
Serves 4 (big servings!)
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup milk (divided)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in large stock pot or dutch oven. Add broccoli, onion, mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper, and basil. Saute for 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth, half and half, and 1 cup of milk. Bring to a boil.
3. In a measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup flour until there are no lumps. While stirring, pour into soup. Mix for 1 minute.
4. Add chicken breasts, and reduce to a simmer. Once chicken breasts are cooked through (10-15 minutes), remove and shred.
5. Add shredded chicken and Parmesan cheese to soup. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
P.S. I’m on blog lovin’ now! Join me?