True confession: I started dinner way too late. I didn’t have all of the (crucial) ingredients on hand that make my chicken cacciatore a dish that an Italian would be proud of. And I didn’t want to go to the store. My first offense: no wine. Second offense: no pasta. When you’re attempting to cook like an Italian, those two simple ingredients are a really big deal.
Consider yourself warned. And please don’t judge me, my dinner was still tasty. Recipes are over rated sometimes. That said, here’s the recipe 🙂
The Chicken Cacciatore That Wasn’t
- Hands on time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 piece of chicken (breast or thigh) with skin on
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/4 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 of 15 oz can of tomatoes
- Thyme, turmeric, salt, pepper
Get to work:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat some olive oil in a sauce pan. Brown each side of the chicken for a minute or two. Remove, and place in a small oven safe dish.
5. Once it’s sufficiently combined, add tomatoes. Stir to combine. Pour on chicken.
6. Bake covered (tin foil works great!) at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, and uncovered for another 15 minutes.
7. Optional: put sauce back in the pot on the stove to reduce it further if you want a thicker sauce. Once it is to your liking, add it to the chicken and serve.