I donated blood this morning. What a great way to start a Saturday! Here are some stats about blood donation from the Red Cross:
- Only 37 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood – currently 3 in ever 100 people donate.
- The average adult has about 10 to 12 pints of blood in his/her body. Roughly 1 pint is given during a donation.
- The average red blood cell transfusion needed is approximately 3 pints.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- Type O blood is the most requested blood type as it can be given to someone of any blood type. 40% of the population has this type of blood.
If you want more information, check out the Red Cross donation website. Check out the Red Cross website or call your local Red Cross chapter to find a blood drive near you!