I feel like I’m back in college again. For the next month, I’ll be eating in a cafeteria. I’m going to attempt to do so and remain healthy, bearing in mind that eating fake food has a direct (negative) correlation to how I feel. Also remembering that, in general, there’s something about eating cafeteria food that leaves you feeling….blah. You know what I mean?
So, my options are:
- a decently stocked salad bar. It’s really nice to have someone else chop your vegetables. I’ll have more variety in my salads than if I were making them out of my own kitchen.
- fruit. Lots of fruit. And hopefully some that I can take with me for snacks. If that’s not an option, I’ll be purchasing some on the side.
- steamed veggies. Last night at dinner, there was broccoli available. I opted for a monster-huge salad, and then I wasn’t feeling like seconds, so I didn’t get any. But it’s good to know that it’s there.
Things I’m going to limit (not cut out. a girl needs some comfort food sometimes!):
- soft serve ice cream. There is vanilla, chocolate, twist and cones. Dangerous.
- The desert bar. Enough said.
- Hot dishes that appear to cooked in grease, smothered in sauce, or comprised almost entirely of processed food.
- carbonated drinks. No soda in the caf. Ever. Also, I’m going to limit caffeine. Not cut it out, mind you, but limit it.
- the slushie machine. Sigh. I love slushies.
I’m going to attempt to be creative this summer so as to continue healthful eating, yet not get bored with the same salad for lunch and dinner for 4 weeks straight.
Anyone have any advice for healthy eats in a cafeteria setting? What else should I avoid (or limit)?